Xcel Energy is introducing the Western Wisconsin Transmission Connection and is planning a series of open houses to gather input from customers, landowners and various stakeholders.
This transmission expansion project is essential to meet the growing energy demands as aging coal plants in the region are phased out over the coming years and decades. The proposed 345-kilovolt (kV) project is expected to begin at an existing substation near Blair, proceed along an existing transmission corridor toward Eau Claire, and end at a new substation that will connect to an existing 345-kV transmission line near Owen or Sheldon, depending on the final route selected.
Xcel Energy is currently seeking public comments about our route proposals in preparation for filing a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity with the Wisconsin Public Service Commission, expected in mid-2024. The final selection of routes will be determined in collaboration with local landowners, local governments, and other key stakeholders. Xcel Energy will propose two route options for review and approval by the PSCW.
The project is in its early stages with multiple opportunities for public input and engagement prior to a final route decision by the PSCW. Open houses are planned in the following communities:
- October 9-Blair Community Center, Blair- 4- 7 p.m.
- October 10-Wissota Lodge and Conference Center, Chippewa Falls-4- 7 p.m.
- October 11-Stanley Community Center, Stanley-11 a.m.- 1 p.m.
- October 11-29 Pines Conference Center, Eau Claire-4-7 p.m.
- October 12-Lake Holcombe Town Hall, Holcombe-3-6 p.m.
- October 16-Virtual Open House. Link posted at WWTConnection.com-1-2 p.m.